David Guzik notes from the Day in the Word Conference.
1. Carefully choose your examples
– 1 Cor 5:15
– Phil 3:17
– 2 Thess 3:7
– 1 Tim 4:12
– 1 Tim 1:15-16
“I press on” – 2. We all need drive to follow God the way that we should
– We should never have the mentality that we have arrived and everyone else should reach our level. Examples from the life of Ironsides, Hudson Taylor & Apostle Paul (Paul always had drive, just in the wrong direction).
– Matthew 11:12 – Jesus is speaking about the intensity that is needed preserve in the Kingdom. There is no cruise control in the Kingdom.
– Genesis 30:1 – approach God with the same passion that cannot be denied. “Lord, take me deeper with you lest I die”
Beware of lost drive in the Christian life.
3. Make sure your drive is set in the right direction
“To make it my own because Jesus has made me His own”
The return by us is to grasp Jesus with all of our might.
“The prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” – the prize is the call
Being able to run the race at all.
The price ledge of pursuing Jesus in service
“Let those of us who are mature think this way – failure to press on is an evidence of immaturity